Wednesday, November 09, 2011

Mini Point - Episode 3

I will not deny that I am humongous fan of the Muppets. I've been looking forward to this movie since I saw Jason Segel playing with puppets at the end of Forgetting Sarah Marshall. Even then, Segel had no idea that this movie would be made...but I knew in my heart it would happen. Then, I saw viral videos from Beaker, Waldorf, and Statler on YouTube. Animal and the rest of the gang did a rendition of Queen's Bohemian Rhapsody that I loved. I felt like a movie was the next step, but it just didn't seem like it was happening fast enough. When it was announced that Segel and company were writing a screenplay, I nearly pooped myself. Then, the filming began. Cameos were set. Directors were hired. Fart-shoes were invented. Puppeteers brought back to a business that was almost lost with Jim Henson's death. Next thing I know, Muppet parody trailers swept the internet. Then, the first actual trailer was released.

A few weeks later, Muppet-mania is in full effect. My Facebook page has had a different Muppet as my profile pic for the last 5 or 6 weeks. The Muppet Studio on YouTube has released scenes from the movie and videos to get a BAZILLLION Facebook likes. On Halloween, the Muppets hosted WWE RAW on the USA network. It was reminiscent of the old Muppet Show. Hilarious antics, stale yet hilarious jokes, and Beaker getting man-handled until his cousin Sheamus stepped in. They are on the cover of Entertainment Weekly. Miss Piggy was on Leno. You can't look anywhere without the Muppets attached to something...Kermit even has his own Adidas shoes.

The movie isn't here for another two weeks, and I feel like a kid waiting for Christmas to arrive. Then today, I heard about Eddie Murphy resigning from his hosting duties at the Academy Awards. I also heard about a grass-roots campaign that began the day after the last Oscar's ceremony to get the Muppets to host. I know it is a long-shot, but if Muppet-mania could possibly stretch into Oscar season...I would most likely explode. If they host the Oscars, then we are another step closer to a prime-time Muppet television show. My ultimate dream is to have the Muppet Show back on the air, and having the Muppets host the Oscars is a step in the right direction. Check out the Muppet Oscar blog (link at the bottom) and join the Facebook group!


MUPPET OSCARS

1 comment:

  1. An update:
    As unlikely as it was, it still saddens me to say that the Muppets will not be hosting the Oscars. The honor was bestowed upon hosting alum, Billy Crystal (10 hosting gigs away from Bob Hope's record). However, since writing this less than a week ago, the Muppets have been spotted at the CMA's, the Latin Grammys, and the Swedish Chef was animated onto last nights Simpsons. So, I have a feeling they may make an appearance at the Oscars. And if they don't, I hope they perform at the Grammys. I still have that dream that the Muppet Show will return to the airways in the near future. As much publicity for the Muppets as possible is needed to make that dream a reality.

    ReplyDelete